During the April holidays the SCEA Institute of Teaching and Learning ran two whole day training sessions on Improving Quality Teaching and Learning, targeted at middle and senior leaders in SCEA schools.
- Observing teacher performance
- Appraisal as driver for improving quality teaching and learning
- Approaches to coaching and mentoring
- Supporting underperforming teachers
- Supporting high-performing teachers
The days were highly interactive, with participants observing lessons, practicing providing feedback, getting feedback from each other on giving feedback and role-playing different “imaginary” scenarios that leaders may be faced with in schools.
Feedback from participants included:
- “Engaging and practical. “
- “Good focus on building capability through mentoring and coaching.”
- “Good sense of humour to help serious learning”
- “An enjoyable and fruitful learning experience”
- “Practical. Encouraging, Reality-based.”
- “I feel well prepared for the task ahead. Thank you.”
The identical training program will be repeated for other participants during Term 2 and in the July holidays.