Why is Jesus so special?
Study the Books of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John to do an in-depth Gospel study.
God’s ultimate revelation of himself is Jesus. In John 1:1-18 Jesus is called the Word of God, the one who was with God and is God, who has become flesh so that in him the Father might be revealed to us. To know God, we need to look at Jesus and it is in the Gospels that Jesus is set before us. So, a deep understanding of the Gospels, gained only by actually reading them, is mandatory to students coming to really see God. Jesus is the centre of the Bible. The Old Testament points to him and he both fulfills it and is the key to understanding it, and the New Testament flows from it, with the end of age being Jesus enthroned as the Lord of all.
- Who is Jesus?
- The Trinity
- Meeting God
- He died for us
- The Resurrection – fact or fiction?
- He enables us to live for Him and love Him
- Jesus shows us how to live
- If you want to know what God is like – look at Jesus. If you want to know how we as humans should live – look at Jesus
- The Second Coming
Choose one gospel to read/work through with the students:
- Matthew has more of the teaching of Jesus
- Mark is short and concise with lot of miracles (action)
- Luke is the most thorough, more contextualisation before and after Jesus’ earthly ministry
- John contains lot of private conversations and is more reflective
Why is the Resurrection important? - discusses the place of the resurrection in Christianity
Alister McGrath on the Resurrection of Jesus - discusses the historical reliability of the resurrection
Gary Habermas website dedicated to the resurrection of Jesus - wide range of resources in a variety of formats, including text and videos by a major Christian apologist
YouVersion – full length videos of Jesus and of The Gospels
The One Minute Apologist on the Resurrection of Jesus
Matthias Media: Historical Jesus, by John Dickson
Matthias Media: The Essential Jesus, John Dickson
Basic Christianity by John Stott
The Jesus I never knew by Phillip Yancey
Ideas/Strategies for Lessons
Explore Jesus as agent of change. http://www.7culturalmountains.org/apps/articles/default.asp?blogid=4347&view=post&articleid=76023