Special People in the Bible
God lets people be part of His plan.
In the beginning God created us to be like him and to have dominion over his creation (Genesis 1:26-28). Again, in Genesis 2:15, the man is put in the garden to work it and keep it. In doing these things God made it clear that we would stand in a special relationship to him, to be like him and have a relationship with him, and that we in turn would stand in God’s place as his representative to the rest of creation. Sin has come into the world, with all its trouble, but God’s plan has not changed. We are made to have a relationship with him and to represent him to the rest of creation. By looking at examples of people who had a strong relationship with God and who were used by God to accomplish God’s plans, students are able to see in action what it means to trust God and to walk with him, and to see what kind of things God might want to do through their lives as they grow.
**Most of all, God has a plan for his world, and he makes us part of that plan, as he has used others. Always relate the persons life to the overall plan
- God created us in the beginning to be his representatives in the world, Gn 1:26,27; 2:15
- The God who made the world and everything in it … is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything (Acts 17:24-25)
- God chose to create us anyway, out of his great love: I have loved you with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3)
- We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2:10)
- By putting our faith in God, we can defeat Satan and his lies (Ephesians 6:10-18)
- Those who went before us are examples and are also witnesses of what we do, Heb 11 & 12
The scripture reference will depend on the person being studied. The following are general references:
Hebrews 11 & 12
Children's Bibles of various sorts
- Series of stories:
- Special Kids: Joseph, Cane and Abel, David, Samuel, Jairus’ daughter, John – best friend
- Special Girls: Esther, Ruth, Naomi, Mary/Elisabeth, Lydia, Rahab, Mary and Martha
- Super Heroes: What makes a superhero?
- Moses, Noah, Sampson, Elijah, Elisha, Daniel, Esther, Josiah
- Judges – who is the boss? (God)
- Kings – Do you want to be the same as everyone else and have kings or do you want to listen to God?
- Jesus – God’s special son
- Miracles series – what is a miracle?
- Why does God do miracles?
- What was God trying to tell us about himself?
- Lost Sheep parable
- Life of Christ chronological
- People Jesus met? Conversations with them and what he wanted them to know.
- Why did God’s special person have to die?
- God’s special people. What does God tell us in Acts about how His church lived? How does God want us to be like a family?
- God’s special people: Paul the Missionary.
- Chronological overview from his conversion to his death (The Book of Acts).
- 3 missionary trips
- Books- what did Paul write to different people around the world:
- What was happening to the people?
- What did God want them to know?
- What did he want them to do and why?
- Theophilus and Luke- friends of Paul
YouTube videos (examples, a search on any of these names and others will bring up many options)
The Apostle Paul - part of a series on Paul
Ideas/Strategies for Lessons
Find out which stories the students know and get them to re-tell them
Read the story and discuss it with them
Have the students act it out
Create art work on the story
Have them take the message of the story and create their own modern story
Share your own experiences of God working in your life, just like the Bible
Watch a video and discuss, followed by prayer
Use Zaption, https://www.zaption.com/, to create an interactive lesson from, for example, a YouTube video
Learn and sing songs which relate to the stores or themes
Use Superhero themes to relate the people of the Bible to students