Being a light in the World: Fitting in or Standing Out?
- We were all created to be like God and in Jesus we are again created in his image
- The world is in the darkness, blinded by sin and by the devil. Our role is to be the light so that they can be saved and that the darkness will be restrained in the world
- Jesus was the light which came into to the world for this very purpose, John 1
- We are called to be his disciples
- There are many great examples in the Bible (Elijah/Paul/Daniel) of those who fulfilled this because they knew He was true, loved them and was clearly directing them
- They listened, believed, were obedient and were willing to suffer. Ultimately they and many others were blessed/saved/rescued by God because of this
Matthew 5:14-16 persecuted for Christ
Matthew 10:16-42 Long section on the cost and reward of following Christ
Matthew 16:21-27 - Lose your life for Christ
John 1:1-18 Jesus came as a light into the world
Elijah - 1 Kings 17, 18, 19 http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/all-men-bible/Elias-Elijah
Ideas/Strategies for Lessons
Light bulb moments: Brainstorm ideas for - How can we shine for God in our world? - Put words in light bulb shapes for display
Blackout moments: Roie play/discuss/brainstorm how we can stop being God's light through fear, apathy, selfishness, etc.
Make hand-print in yellow with verse – Be light in the world so people will see Him – make into a candle
A light in the world: what does light need; what do we need to stay in the light? (Relate to Year 5 Physical Science topic 'light')
Hide lights (torch/candle) around the room, turn off the room lights, how useful are the hidden lights? Will they last? Will anyone notice if they go out?
Pass the light game: In the dark, one child lights their torch on, then touches two others who turn their torches on. They find two more people who turn their torches on, etc. Watch how the light spreads.
A Light in the World:
- How do we become a light for God? (Through Jesus - Oil in my lamp)
- How do we stay in the light? (Reading God's Word; Obeying; Praying; Meeting with others; Doing God's work; Sharing God's truth)
- Source of our light is Jesus
- Focus of our light is Jesus - this draws other to Him
Loving my neighbour – small groups to initiate acts of love at local, national and international level or it could be a class or group long term project:
- Skype contact with missions/missionaries – look outwards
- Partner with own community, e.g. aged care, food bank, soup kitchen, environmental
- Christmas boxes
- Fundraising for a Mission
- School Mission trip
- Ethical Fair Trade – Children can act ethically (buy Fair Trade products) – love thy neighbour